on .

We want to hear about your experience of using local health services. If you have not had a good service, we need to know about it. If you are unhappy with your NHS care or treatment or how you were dealt with, you have the right to make a complaint, have it looked into and receive a response.

Help with making a complaint

There are local advocacy providers who can guide and support you through the complaints process. They are free and independent of the NHS. They can help you put your complaint in writing and attend meetings with you, but they do not investigate complaints.

Find out more about the service by contacting Total Voice Staffordshire NHS Complaints Advocacy Service:

Freephone: 01782 336387
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Post: Total Voice Staffordshire, The Northfield Centre, Magnolia Avenue, Stafford ST16 3DU

Who can complain?

Any individual can complain about NHS services or treatment they have received or if they have been affected by the actions or decisions of an NHS organisation. If you are unable to complain yourself, someone can act on your behalf with your written consent. Companies or other care providers cannot make a complaint under the NHS Complaints Procedure.

Who should I complain to?

The NHS Complaints Procedure gives some people a choice of whether to complain to the provider of the service or the commissioner. For our CCG, this means we handle both complaints that are about what we have done or are about the local services that we commission. If you complain to us about a commissioned service we manage the complaint but we will need to ask the provider to investigate. If you are unsure who you would like to deal with your complaint you can discuss this with our PALs service. You can contact them by phone on 0800 030 4563 or by e-mailing This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

For complaints about primary care (this means GP or dental practices, community pharmacies and opticians) you should complain to NHS England. You can contact them by phoning 03003 11 22 33 or by emailing This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

How do I Complain?

You can make your complaint in writing, by email or verbally. If you make your complaint verbally, you will be asked to check a written record of your complaint to ensure that you agree with the contents. If you contact us using any of the methods below we will help.

Freephone: 0300 123 1461

Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Online: Complaints Feedback Form

How will you deal with my complaint?  

The first stage of the complaint procedure is called ‘local resolution.’ Our complaints team will contact you within three days of receiving your complaint to make sure they have understood what you want to complain about and what you would like to happen to put things right. They will always consider whether there is a way to resolve your complaint quickly and informally. If not, they will explain how the complaints process works and then make sure there is a thorough investigation. You will receive a response from the Chief Accountable Officer of our CCG.

Any information you give us will be treated as strictly confidential. We may need to collect personal information from you but we will not pass it on without your consent.

Will I be treated fairly?

We understand you might be concerned that your treatment will be affected because you made a complaint. Please do not worry about this. We also appreciate that some people who use our services have different needs and we want to make sure that you do not face any unnecessary barriers to raising a complaint. We will discuss this with you to ensure that you are not disadvantaged in any way and we can also give you details of other services that could help.

When should I make a complaint?

You should raise your complaint as soon as possible and within twelve months from when you knew there was a problem. We know that this is not always possible and can sometimes accept complaints after that time if there is a good reason why they were not made earlier. If you considering making a complaint about something that happened more than twelve months ago we would still like you to contact us.

What if my complaint involves more than one NHS organisation or the NHS and social care?  

You should only need to make one complaint.  You will be asked for your permission for your complaint to be shared between all the organisations involved and you will usually receive a single, coordinated response.

How long will it be before I get my response?

We will respond as quickly as we can and we work to a target of 40 working days from when we received your complaint. If it is going to take longer than that, we will contact you to let you know.

What if I am unhappy with the way in which the NHS has handled my complaint?

You can ask the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman to consider it further:

Telephone Helpline: 0345 015 4033
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.